I used this handout last Tuesday with my group of older learners in the sheltered housing scheme in Hounslow. They have a laptop which I set up, for each person, (Windows 8, a challenge in its own right) and we are using a Mifi device to enable internet acccess.
With some coaching, bearing in mind this was the first time some of them had opened a desktop shortcut or viewed a Word doc, they were able to control+click the link in the document, launch the page and use Page Down key to read the headings. (The laptop touchpads weren't so easy for them, I'll be taking mice along this week...) They found it easier to write in the box provided rather than type in the document, and not everyone was able to read/scroll down the document all the way in the time we had, but several of them did manage to transcribe all the 5 headings into their handout.
It is about the simplest webquest one could do, one link only, but for the audience I think it was appropriate. A younger group with more capability would whizz through a more complex one - I'll have to do one for Family Learning if the course at Berkeley or Norwood Green takes off!
like you say 'know your audience'. you are right, and they also have the conceptual barrier to overcome as well as the motor one.
ReplyDelete