Monday, 6 January 2014

Push technology - can it work with Adult Ed short- course learners?

Well, I've thought about this quite a bit and so far my impression is "no, not easily".  There are a number of reasons for this:
  1. I cannot include RSS feeds into my course pages on our VLE. There is some admin hitch that I do not know how to get round, or whether it's worthwhile trying to get help on it.
  2. My learners on the whole are not Twitter users.
  3. I don't spend long enough with learners to get them used to the idea of a regular broadcast - they would not expect it and IT confidence may not be at a level for them to subscribe comfortably.
  4. I'm not technically supposed to know or store their mobile numbers so a regular podcast to smartphones (if they have them) is tricky to organise.
That said, I have experienced a distance learning Moodle-based course where the weekly podcast was pretty useful to remind me of the focus topic and what needed doing.  So I know it can be good.

How could I make use of push technology then, in light of this?
(to be continued....)

Well, in the meantime I've set up a few Pinterest boards, including a secret one for jobseekers' class.  I will invite them to view it, and if they want to, follow it so that if I post other useful stuff in future they can see it. Also considering a Rebelmouse page for sharing with tutor colleagues, to include twitter feeds from edtech bloggers, Pinterest posts, blog posts by me and other stuff.  Shared directly or via LinkedIn group.

No comments:

Post a Comment